From September 2016, the coastal division is starting the last renovation phase of the East Pier in Blankenberge. This will include replacing the floor boarding, support beams and fixations, the purlins and the support poles, all of which are in poor condition. The load-bearing structure and the wood floor will also be renovated, and everything above the high water mark will be repainted.

In the 1860s, the East Pier served as a conduit for access to the fishing port of Blankenberge. The former pier was 110 metres long and 2.7 m wide and all of the posts were interconnected by one wooden girder. At the end of the 19th century, the pier was extended to its current length of 408 metres and width of 5.45 metres. As part of this expansion into the sea, double girder beams connected the post system.

At the end of World War II both the East and the West Pier were burnt down. The East Pier was rebuilt in 1953. Maintenance was subsequently carried out on a regular basis, including the fixing of existing elements and the replacement of missing or damaged elements. At the end of the 1990s, it became apparent that the wooden components were weathered, which could cause problems for the stability and thus the safety of the pier. Meanwhile, the entire head and foot of the pier were renewed; because the East Pier is a protected monument, everything must be restored to its original state.